Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Jesus Is A Personal Savior

       Who is Jesus? I can discuss His role as the most important historical figure in the entire history of the world. Or, I am always happy to share his miraculous  life as revealed in the Word of God. Or, I can shed tears with you as we discuss his awful death to purchase our salvation but punctuate the conversation with "Hallelujah" because of His resurrection. 
     The wonder of Jesus is that He is not only God Incarnate for all mankind, but as Mosie Lister wrote in song and the Statesmen Quartet made famous and I have often sung if to nobody else but myself. This is the chorus:
     "He's a personal Savior
     He's mine I know
     I love Him so
     He did my heart 
     A personal favor 
     That's why I tell it out
     Wherever I may go. 
     When I am blue
     And feeling oh so low down
     He'll take me through
     Old Satan can't get me down 
     And from the path
     I'll never more waver
     For He's a friend
     A personal friend."
     
     There is so much I'd like to tell you about what He means to me. He has never failed to be near me in my darkest hours. He has been my Great Physician when hope was gone. He has lifted me up when I've stumbled. He's given me direction when I've been confused as to what to do or where to turn. 
     Most of all, He is my personal Savior because on the day we celebrated His resurrection, I watched my four grandchildren hunting eggs, scurrying here and there while laughing with childhood glee....and His resurrection means death will not permanently separate me from them. Jesus makes all of that possible. 
     I was in an elevator one day and a fellow rider began to use our Lord's name in a vile profane way, I turned to him and said, "Sir, I wish you would not speak of Jesus in such a way, my beloved mother and father are dead, and one day I'll be dead and my grandchildren whom I love dearly will live their lives without me. The only hope I have of seeing them again is the Jesus you are using as a curse word."
     I would have loved to sing for him the first two verses of Mosie Lister's song:

     "You've heard about a place called 
          heaven up in the blue
     I'm glad that all my sins are forgiven
     I'm telling you
     I'd like to see you get this feeling
     You can receive
     God's ready now to give you 
          this feeling
     If you believe.

     Don't ever try to quench the Spirit
     When God's around
     Some people seem to get
          so near it 
     Then turn Him down.
     Judgment you're going
          to see the Savior
     That you passed by
     Think how you're going 
          to feel that morning
     When others cry"....(sing chorus)

     I love Jesus, my personal Savior, for many, many reasons. Most of all, however, it is He who will bring us all safely to the other side. 



     

No comments:

Post a Comment